Archer is an animated comedy on F/X that spoofs the spy genre. With decidedly adult dialogue and storylines, Archer combines the look of Johnny Quest with the humor of a sketch comedy. Archer premiered January 14, 2009 on FX.
The characters of Archer make the cartoon worth watching. Each is dysfunctional in his or her own way, full of flaws and bitterness. Sterling Archer is the lead agent of ISIS, possibly because his mother, Malory Archer, is the head of the agency. Agent Lana Kane is Sterling's ex-girlfriend. She's dating Cyril Figgis, another agent. The staff is rounded out by Cheryl, Pam, Ray and Dr. Krieger.
Archer boasts a talented cast with veterans of stage, screen and stand-up comedy.
- H. Jon Benjamin (Bob's Burgers, Lucy, Daughter of the Devil) as Sterling Archer
- Jessica Walter (Arrested Development, 90210) as Malory Archer
- Aisha Tyler (The Talk, 24) as Lana Kane
- Chris Parnell (30 Rock, Saturday Night Live) as Cyril Figgis
- Judy Greer (Love and Other Drugs, 27 Dresses) as Cheryl
- Adam Reed (Creator) as Ray Gillette
- Amber Nash (Frisky Dingo) as Pam Poovey
Archer creator Adam Reed is no stranger to late-night, adult animated comedy. He also created Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo for Adult Swim. He has previously recorded parts for Robot Chicken, Frisky Dingo, 12 oz. Mouse and Sealab 2021.
My Two Cents:
Archer is the best animated comedy I've seen in years. The comedy is so well-timed and clever. The cast gives hilarious performances, with almost deadpan delivery. The quick staccato dialogue is witty and hilarious. You will be rewinding your DVR asking, "Did he just say what I think he said?" Archer is not to be missed, especially by animated TV fans looking for more intellectual comedy than simple swear words and nudie jokes can provide. Love it!