The Bottom Line
- Guest stars include include George Harrison, Michelle Pfieffer, The Ramones and more.
- Loads of commentary with cast and crew, plus deleted scenes.
- 100th episode featurette.
- No cast interviews or behind-the-scenes footage.
- 22 episodes from the fifth season, including the "The Simpsons" 100th episode.
- Commentary on every episode from Executive Producers, Writers, Actors and Directors.
- Deleted scenes with optional commentary.
- Storyboards, animatics and animation showcases on every disc.
- Special featurette with James L. Brooks to celebrate the 100th episode.
Guide Review - "The Simpsons" The Complete Fifth Season DVD
"Homers Barbershop Quartet" gave us a fun guest appearance by George Harrison, sending up his Beatles' own fame and grandstanding. The episode also gave us a winkingly good tune in "Baby on Board."
"Marge on the Lam" revealed a thumb-on-the-pulse talent because it was a take-off on "Thelma and Louise," with Pam Hayden giving an outstanding performance.
Super-star Michelle Pfeiffer popped in for an uncharacteristic character in "The Last Temptation of Homer." The episode is a fine study of marriage issues.
The list goes on and on of fantastic episodes included in the boxed set. You also get to hear very witty and insightful commentary from not only the producers, but also the cast.
I wish for only one thing that isn't included: cast interviews or behind-the-scenes footage. When "Shrek" and "Finding Nemo" were released in theaters, I practically choked on the amount of footage I saw of the actors recording their characters. Why don't we have the same for "The Simpsons?"
Regardless, this set is worth its price.