1. Entertainment
Nancy Basile

Adventure Time with Finn and Jake Wins Ratings

By April 8, 2010

Apparently most of you didn't listen to me when I warned you against letting your small children watch Adventure Time with Finn and Jake. According to a press release from Cartoon Network, "Adventure Time premiered last Monday night as TV's #1 show on either cable or broadcast at 8:00 p.m. among kids 6-11 and kids 2-11 (2-11!), as well as the #1 telecast of the entire night on all TV among boys 6-11, boys 2-11 (2-11!) and boys 9-14, according to preliminary data from Nielsen Media Research."

What the what? What 2 year-old is watching a cartoon about zombies, running the gauntlet, eating ice cream and getting fat and using near-swear-words? And, furthermore, 2 year-olds need to be in bed at 8:00 p.m. dreaming about candy and learning to run, not up watching cartoons with their 10 year-old syblings.

It scares me that Nielsen is tracking what 2 year-olds are doing, anyway. How 'bout you?

Comments

April 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm
(1) MEC says:

Clearly, you hate fun.

April 17, 2010 at 8:21 pm
(2) Alici3a says:

Aha,Yeah I Get What She’s Saying; But Not Many Parents Care…Adventure Time Is Still Awesome And….Yeah,I Babysit And It Keeps The Kids Quiet And I Enjoy It Too.

April 26, 2010 at 9:38 pm
(3) Ziggy says:

Am I the only parent reading this that’s also a little concerned about the content? This is mature, crude humor. Not for little ones unless you want them thinking it’s proper to be crude and rude. Besides, we read stories before bed. There is enough tv watching in the evening as it is! lol

April 28, 2010 at 10:39 am
(4) animatedtv says:

Thank you! I thought I was the only parent who thought that. United we stand, dude.

May 4, 2010 at 6:07 pm
(5) cleu says:

Are you guys serious!?!

Those are demograph age groups, not specific ages. When it says 2-11 it means 2-11, not 2.

Besides, how would they actually know how many 2 year olds are watching their show?

“What 2 year-old is watching a cartoon about zombies, running the gauntlet, eating ice cream and getting fat and using near-swear-words?”

Please tell me you aren’t serious! I can almost understand the near swear words, like lump-off… well, maybe not… its a made up expression, and not something a 30-year-old man with a tatoo would say. But besides the “swearing,” I don’t understand what is wrong with this show…

Besides, what 2 year old could even understand what is going on in this TV show anyway? Its just a bunch of colors on a screen with words they don’t recognize.

If you aren’t ok with letting a 2 year old watch this almost innocent show, then you should let any of your kids of any age watch any TV show ever!

Also, while Cartoon Network says that the intended audience is kids, the creator (Pen Ward) actually puts a lot of teenage and adult oriented stuff in this show… I’m not saying he makes it “mature” just more targeted toward older people.

July 23, 2010 at 7:30 pm
(6) WHAT THE FLIP MAN! says:

Wow someone needs a chill-pill
adventure time is awesome!!!
and funny, its interesting and awesome!

September 29, 2010 at 6:06 pm
(7) Fuck you. says:

clearly you’re an ignorant fun hating b***h. Btw siblings not “syblings”.

October 12, 2010 at 6:45 pm
(8) ur mom says:

This show is not bad at all. Anyone from 2-11 wouldnt even understand some of the crude humour but I’m 15 and I barely notice it. If you want a bad show go bag on Robot Boy. It’s the most awesome show ever but even I have to admit Robot Boy is over the top.

December 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm
(9) yo mama says:

Most of the crudeness is pretty subtle so it wouldn’t really affect children. I wouldn’t pick on Adventure Time just cause it’s a new show, there are plenty of more cartoons out there that are blantantly crude and even more so than AT. And back to the morals thing… it’s not a show that’s going to teach your children anything. It’s strange and abstract at times and it’s main purpose is entertainment. But at the same time, I think adventure time does have a good prevailing idea. The show doesn’t take itself seriously and makes no real effort to teach the audience life lessons. The idea behind that is probably… you’re not supposed to learn life lessons from a tv show.

A message to parents: TV isn’t teaching your kids anything. TV is rotting their brains as you go to your book clubs or continue to use the TV as their babysitter they are becoming zombies. And getting fat eating ice cream and chips. Make your time with them more influential than any cartoon could ever be. Don’t worry so much about what the glowing box is “teaching” them, and become a parent today =D

December 4, 2010 at 8:06 pm
(10) snookie says:

December 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm
(11) j says:

This show is wayyy too adult for kids. I guess if you think I’m a “fun hater” then your definition of fun for kids is redonkulous.

December 31, 2010 at 4:59 pm
(12) wow says:

this show is just fine. It’s harmless fun it not like a little 2 year old is going to build a gaunlet okay so just chill out and forget it. And don’t you think 11 year olds know the real swear words already? It doenst mean they will go around saying it.

January 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm
(13) Chris Rodriguez says:

Kids watching this show shouldn’t be what parents worry about. The show is imaginative, fun, and creative. Television shows parents should be worrying about on the cartoon network are shows like sixteen, total drama island, and shows similar to that. When a shows opening montage shows the mall as a “place where teenagers belong” that worries me because it promotes nothing but consumerism and stunts any creative thought. Total drama island is a reality tv show. I wouldn’t want my kids ever watching something as mind numbing as a reality tv show let alone at the ages of 2-11. Adventure time reminds me of old cartoons I saw when I was a kid. Shows like Dexter’s lab, Hey Arnold, and many others. Those shows made me want to be creative and inspired my art, my sense of humor, and have a real sense of morality to them. Kids want to grow up faster and faster these days. When I was 13 all I wanted to do was play music, draw, and watch funny cartoons. Now kids want to worry about hooking up, going to the mall, and worry what others think of them. It is troubling.

April 11, 2011 at 9:11 pm
(14) Taylor says:

Dude, what the ****?

June 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm
(15) Plantfood says:

I don’t have an opinion about Adventure Time but I really have a problem with the author’s black and white world. The arrogance in declaring what time young children should be in bed! What matters is whether they get enough sleep and therefore what time they awake. As others have said, it’s an age *range* not that kids at the bottom of the range watch. As you suggested, most 2 year olds are in bed at that tome so there isn’t much programming for them at that time. My guess is that it’s a range that refers to those between toddler and adolescence which would be about 2 to 11. It’s a very general descriptor, nothing more. For people interested in advice about whether a show is appropriate for your child, refer to one of the sites that describes the show, what the violence content is. What the bad language content is, etc. So you can make an informed choice for yourself rather than trusting an extremely biased and judgmental source like this author.

June 11, 2011 at 7:51 pm
(16) Kelly says:

What’s wrong with Zombies? They’re all over the Disney Channel and lots of people take their little kids to the Zombie Walk in Seattle. Don’t you think a kid who’s two has seen zombies on Halloween? They’re as silly and fun as any other monster. I’m guessing you don’t approve of Ugly Dolls either since they look like monsters.

July 16, 2011 at 1:29 am
(17) The Keeper of The Reaper says:

alot of people have grown up in the old fashioned days,and they are still in those times, git w/ the times folks, cartoons are just that cartoons and they are made to be funny, whether it be a huge boulder falling on Tom from Tom & Jerry, or Tom catching on fire, and then 5 seconds later he is back chasing Jerry. There is nothing wong w/ Zombies, nor is there anything wrong w/ Halloween. alot of young kids dress up like zombies, devils,ghosts. and it is only a costume nothing more nothing less. I like zombies,demons, ghosts, and yes even cartoons. but some of these new weird & Bizarre shows they brought out are just plain stupid, bring back all the good cartoons from way back when.

Signed;
The Keeper of The Reaper

November 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm
(18) hailey says:

I LOVE ADVENTURE TIME SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!
makes my soul happy :)

January 28, 2012 at 8:29 am
(19) emily jay says:

dude get over yourself it clearly has an age rating ,obviously youve forgotten what its like to be a kid,i watch adventure time with my kids & theres nothing wrong with it ,its a cartoon its funny

May 30, 2012 at 6:41 pm
(20) Jessica says:

8:00pm and 2 year olds are watching it? thats not the shows fault thats the parents.

July 4, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(21) Kelly says:

Adventure rocks! Um hello? This is 2012, kids watch what they think is fun no matter what and Adventure is FUN!!!!

July 17, 2012 at 10:16 am
(22) Momlowe says:

The language is my biggest issue. Sure “friggin” and “sucks” may not be curse words but I wouldn’t want to hear this come out of my 5 year olds mouth. In my opinion this language is inappropriate for an 11 yr old to use as well. Yes, they probably know the words and hear them from school or wherever, but by letting them watch them, it’s saying you approve. My child knows words that he shouldn’t say, but he also knows if he uses them, mom’s not happy about it. I say it really depends on the parent and what they think is ok.

August 26, 2012 at 7:10 pm
(23) Bob says:

I think the main thing to keep in mind is the portion of the 2-11 year old demographic that is going to be attracted to this sort of show is going to be the older kids for which its content is fine.

Is adventure time ok for a 3 year old to watch? Probably not but its certainly nothing that a 7 or 8 year old should have a problem with.

This show isn’t designed for extremely small children. It’s pg and that rating is more than adequate. From what I have seen, it tends to be the older kids who are watching it, not toddlers. Two and three year olds shouldn’t really even be watching TV at all at such an early developmental stage. It’s been proven harmful in how the brain learns to process reality regardless of the content of the show.

As for the older kids in this demographic this is definitely at the tamer end of what passes for pg these days. It even tends to have very positive and life affirming messages although some of the themes are quite dark and serious despite the whimsical nature of the show.

August 26, 2012 at 7:20 pm
(24) Bob says:

I wanted to add one last thing. People worried about the show teaching their kids psuedo dirty language really need to listen to a group of kids hanging out when they think there is no parent in earshot.

If your kid has any exposure to public school and society in general in anything but some areas of rural small town America, they have probably already dropped their first F bomb or at least S word by age 7 or so and I assure you they didn’t learn it from adventure time. Most learn it from their parents or classmates.

October 15, 2012 at 10:48 pm
(25) Zoey says:

Chill the hell out. Seriously. Your the kind of parent that raises psycho brainwashed anti-social children who eventually hang out with wrong crowds just to get away from you and do everything in their power to rebel. I bet you keep all the rated “T” video games away and absolutely no PG-13 movies.

Adventure time is an excellent tv show. I am 18 and even I love it. Beautiful animation, hilarious lines, and voices match characters. If you haven’t seen it you must! I watched Rugrats and etc when I was young, and I highly suggest this for kids!

November 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm
(26) asda says:

adventure time is a show for kids age 10 & above.You shouldnt complain about what children are watching its the parents fault.

December 27, 2012 at 4:03 am
(27) The Captain says:

What time is it?! BETTER PARENTING TIME!!!!… i love adventure time lol. If you’re a good parent your kids should be able to watch this around the age of 6 (though any younger could probably be bad). Here’s just a bit of proof. My parents did try and keep M rated games and such away from me, and they did pretty good too. however, my older brother was able to sneak them for me, and i’d play em. conkers bad fur day was the first game. That all started when i was 7 or 8, and i’ve been watching mature stuff ever since. I’ve never swore at my parents. ever. i have achieved honors through all of school, and im enrolled in post secondary. I have a $20/hr job and i don’t drink, smoke, blah blah boring life story. point is it didn’t matter what i watched/played, cause my parents did their job.

Therefore, any parent who believes letting their kids watch adventure time will screw them up is.. uh.. behind the times to put it nicely lol. It all comes down to the parenting skills, and what/how you teach your kids.

ps School (in general k-12) is filled with way worse content than any tv show and yet they’re not only encouraged, but forced to go. Dont hear much complaints ’bout that. Food for thought.

January 8, 2013 at 5:33 pm
(28) Nuclear says:

What the heck!! Adventure Time is fine and there is no crude humor at all!!

February 27, 2013 at 1:18 pm
(29) JakeTheDog says:

You’re nuts lady. You’re about as credible as a real-life Dr. Lipschitz.

July 6, 2013 at 9:30 pm
(30) Mikey Arnwine says:

Here’s an amazing idea…. Don’t let your two year olds stay up and watch those shows. Or hell, CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!! I don’t see anyone saying a word about adult swim?! Because it’s common sense. If it’s on pretty late, it’s not for kids. Plus most of you parents probably aren’t even old enough to watch it yourselves!

September 14, 2013 at 3:39 am
(31) Jessica says:

ADVENTURE TIME IS MADE FOR CHILDREN! SERIOUSLY! INSTEAD OF FINN OR JAKE OR OTHER CHARACTERS SAYING WORDS LIKE: “WHAT THE F*CK?”, THEY FREAKIN’ CHANGE IT TO SOMETHIN’ LIKE: “WHAT THE LUMP?” SO YES I DO AGREE THAT ITS OK FOR CHILDREN TO WATCH ADVENTURE TIME! OKAY! LIKE FOR REAL, IF IT WAS FOR LIKE, ADULTS ONLY, IT WOULD SAY SO!!!! :)