1. Entertainment
The Life and Times of Tim will premiere September 28 at 11:00 p.m. on HBO. The cartoon is based on the creator's animated short titled Angry Upaid Hooker. I bet you're reaching for the remote already! Learn more about The Life and Times of Tim.
Picture courtesy of HBO.

Comments

September 15, 2008 at 3:36 am
(1) Annette says:

I am very disgusted and outraged at the fact that this cartoon is portraying the only hooker of the show as a black woman. I find it to be very insulting, stereotypical and disgraceful! All too often hollywood constantly does their best to belittle and portray black women as whores and prostitutes and I’m sick of it! This show is blatantly disrespectful to me as a black women and other black women as well! For creater Steve Dildarian to find amusement in portraying black women in such a negative light, like so many other producers in Hollywood, shows no creativity in his piece of work. Furthermore, he is just using stereotyped images of black women to make a dollar and it is ugly! I am very outraged!

September 15, 2008 at 1:23 pm
(2) It Doesn't Matter says:

If there wasn’t any black characters on the show then that would be an issue too. Sometimes it’s not about blacK or white. These days it’s all about GREEN or going green. So what, the hooker is black with blonde hair! How funny would it be if the hooker was white with blonde hair? THAT would just be PLAIN and corny or vise versa and WAY too REALISTIC for normal people to accept!! I think there are WAY more issues in the black community that WE as intelligent black MEN and Women should be focused on!!! And if you can’t see the humor in that…who cares! lolol

September 15, 2008 at 1:48 pm
(3) blackhandside says:

To the lady that commented above I guess you have a point & there are those who will ask what is your point LOL…. I guess ur one of those who don’t mind those types of roles as long as it’s not you right… Well Al Sharpton is the one who discussed this as being an issue for black women and he’s a black powerful man…. You’re right it is about the green and luckily enough for that role of the black woman being played as a whore it’s an animation… There r some black women who will get payed to play those roles….Anyone can be bought oh yes deary ducks even you don’t sleep!

September 15, 2008 at 2:18 pm
(4) Jo says:

Oh for Heaven’s sake…get off of your high horse Annette! Some people just cannot take pleasure in anything because they are too busy evaluating and trying to create issues. I notice that the gay guy is white. Sterotypically speaking, are there no black homosexuals? We are all aware that there are white prostitutes…so, they went with a black one (which are also out on the streets)…so what? Stop beating a dead horse!

September 15, 2008 at 2:29 pm
(5) Life is What We Make It says:

Truly! If you want to expend energy getting “very upset & disgusted”, you should be angry that any woman, regardless of color, would find herself in the position of having to prostitute herself. If you can’t see it that way, then you are part of the problem and not part of the solution.

September 15, 2008 at 6:26 pm
(6) It Doesn't Matter says:

Okay blackhandside, you have a point as well, however to even mention Al Sharpton as an example is not very convincing to me. No disrespect but ole’ Al has lost a few points with me! It seems Mr. Sharpton only marches if there is ‘GREEN” involved. In my opinion that isn’t very noble. I guess it’s for charity or something! And my point was stated at the end of my post. THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY THAN A SILLY @SS CARTOON THAT (I hope) WILL MOST LIKELY BE CANCELLED NEXT SEASON. GOD BLESS GOOD NIGHT! lol PEACE & LOVE 2 ALL.

September 16, 2008 at 11:40 pm
(7) Annette says:

To Miss It doesn’t matter,

Yes there are other important issues in the black community that need to be weighed and focused on and the constant degradation of our people is one of them! For years, even dating back to slavery times, our image as a race has been degraded, tarnished and made a mockery; from dipictions of the sambo characters to being dumb, uneducated, pimps, theives, robbers, whores and hookers. These destructive stereotypes, believe it or not, have done a lot to destroy the plight of our race. Yes, this is of great importance! It’s one thing if these characters were portrayed once in a while, but when it’s a common event, there is a problem! Stereoypes are what help to cause fear, disrespect and racial tension! Stereotypes are what cause people to be treated unfairly! Stereotypes help to breed ignorance and the dangerous cycle continues to perpetuate itself until you end up with a society that is sick and disfunctional like the one we have today! All too often, many of our black people don’t care about what is happening or has happened to us and are willing to lay down and accept anything and you my dear are one of them. It is because of people like you and with your thought process that history continues to repeat itself. You seem to be proud of your, “it doesn’t matter” little slogan, but I feel sorry for black individuals who think the way you do. No, this is not about being petty and you obviously fail to see the bigger picture You’ve been bamboozled!

Lots of love!

September 17, 2008 at 12:16 am
(8) Annette says:

Jo,

This is not about beating a dead horse and as long as White America, Hollywood and Society continues to deliberately and blatantly disrespect my race or me as a Black Woman, I will always make it an issue. When I staunchly believe in something, I never stop fighting for the righteousness of the situation. I don’t know what your race, sex culture or ethnic make-up is but, I have strong reason to believe you are not a black female, although I could be wrong. What I will say is that I don’t expect for you to understand the way I feel or where I’m coming from because, you will never have to walk a mile in my shoes, so therefore, you don’t have the capacity to be able to relate to me as a Black Woman.

Have a wonderful day…

September 28, 2008 at 5:50 pm
(9) Illyria (48 yrs. old) says:

To Annette,
The fact that so many people like u feel that U have to throw in the race card on a topic that isn’t as important as lynching or burning crosses or even September 11 when all races were killed is just plain ignorance. Like on of the responders wrote u wouldn’t have had a problem if it were a white person portrayed. U say that these little things that have black people portraying a certain role is bringing our race down. I’ve got news for U. We did that. There are some black people that are not even trying to change there ways to show that yes we are educated and can do more than pimp or ho around. I know people and live in a neighborhood where thats like an everyday thing. If a person already has an idea or thought about our color in their heads, a cartoon won’t change that. so before u throw out the slavery and race card about us get the facts. U want to sound educated, then know what u are talking about. We are the only ones that can change our people’s perception about us.
God bless.

November 25, 2008 at 7:46 pm
(10) simon says:

to annette : the only person that is regarding the picture rascistly is you. you are just over speculating and being a hypocrite as you are the one that is stereotyping. You are the one that brought it up, other than that i don’t think anyone would have an issue. If you even bother to watch the show, its actually very playful and light hearted. There is no disrespect pointed towards black people. The question i ask you is whats wrong with a black hooker, and what difference would it make if she was white? You are making an issue out of nothing. If you also cared to notice, tim’s boss is also black. Maybe that will make you feel a bit better…since you are stereotyping roles….

November 25, 2008 at 8:03 pm
(11) simon says:

Also a big thing i should point out is that you are casting the first stone, so to say… because you are basically stereotyping the level of intelligence of an entire bunch of strangers, by proposing that this depiction will affect my understanding of another culture. I personally find that insulting to be catergorised as a total moron.
Then on another level you must accept that you can’t just censor other people or ideas, no matter how ridiculous they are. Any intelligent person watching this will understand its a playful joke, anyone that uses it as cultural reference is dumbfoundedly stupid, and on that note, i ask you what your concern with their mindframe is? Carry on with your own life, rascists will only have power when you react to them, otherwise they are just a background nuissance. Its 2008, they have no power, the world has come far, and i suggest you should put a little more confidence in your race and stop getting yourself pointlessly worked up over a joke.
If you were truely proud of your culture i don’t think you would be so offended. How can you let someone elses silly idea affect your pride?

November 25, 2008 at 8:04 pm
(12) simon says:

May 4, 2009 at 12:54 am
(13) PassTheChocolate says:

The creator, from what I understand, is displaying himself. Even if he wasn’t, it is not a flattering portrayal of a white man. Had the hooker been Hispanic, no one would have had an issue with it.

And don’t get me started on Al Sharpton. He’s THE BIGGEST racist of all; a disgrace to black men and women everywhwere. If it weren’t for racism, he’d have no purpose. It is in his best interests to keep fueling the fire. It’s the ignorant and “oppressed” who keep him in business. He’s an ASS.

May 27, 2009 at 3:27 pm
(14) Connor, leader of all says:

well, i think you all should just get over the fact that our world isn’t perfect, yaaay

June 25, 2009 at 1:33 pm
(15) Dane2theD says:

The poor animation would lead you to believe she is black but if you’ve watched the show I think she states that she is some mix… That’s in the episode where the BLACK BOSS makes Tim be a Hispanic minority, Tim Sanchez, and has the hooker pose as his Latina wife. Any Q’s?

FYI.. the creator is E. Indian I believe…

October 12, 2010 at 1:05 pm
(16) adam says:

Annette…..shut up and grow up.

October 12, 2010 at 1:11 pm
(17) Bobby brown says:

looks like somebody took feminine studies 101 and thinks they have an educated opinion. Its a cartoon, when i think prostitute i dont think black woman, i think whore. and the beautiful thing about a whore is they can be from any race. I dont see a bunch of white girls on this forum compaining about how Amy is a bitch. (ohh no all blonde white woman are bitches thats sending back white woman 50 years blah blah blah). to quote the last guy, grow up.